Sunday, November 4, 2012

My Big 3-0!

I am officially 30! It seems so weird to have finally reached this age. I don't feel any different, but it sure seems weird to say that I am no longer in my 20's. Anyway, I sure had a great day. I wanted to be sure to document the day because it was special, different then most of my other birthdays. I didn't want to do any gifts, I just wanted to try to do 30 Random Acts of Kindness. We did a lot of fun things, but I only got pictures of a few. First off, I donated a bag of clothing to the second-hand store in town.
Then we went to the local grocery store and collected carts and returned them and help a few people to their cars, unloaded groceries, and returned their carts. Ada thought that was pretty fun! We dropped some cookies with a Thank You note to the police station. I taped a couple sets of coins to the laundry-mat washers with a smiley RAK note. We then sat on a main street corner and handed out hot chocolate to people walking by. I also had a few pairs of gloves that I gave to some people that didn't have any. While we were sitting there, a lady and her daughter were walking by, struggling to carry some bedding and big blanket. Good ol' Ryan offered to carry for them. They were pretty surprised, but thankful. The girls started getting cold at this point so we decided to head inside. A lady in our ward walked by on the way to the grocery store. We drove her to the store so she could get some milk and took her home. I was hoping we'd get some true "random" acts in!
 This was one of my favorites! When we first moved to Cardston, I was walking by this phone and an older man asked me if I had a Looney so he could make a phone call. I was kinda nervous and didn't know what he was talking about. I just said, "No, sorry" and quickly walked away. Well, I later found out a Looney is a Canadian dollar coin! I felt so bad. So I stopped by that phone and put a RAK sign with some quarters to equal a Looney!
 We went to an older ladies house and I helped her inside the house cleaning while Ryan did snow removal. It was starting to get late and the girls were tired and hungry so we called it good for the day. I don't know if we actually did 30 acts through the day, but it was memorable for me. I really hope to build on this for future years!

 Ryan surprised me that evening with a babysitter and reservations at the Cobblestone Restaurant. It was buffet night so we got to try everything on their menu. I thought the rolls were very good!
Here we are at dinner:

 When we got home, we stuck a candle in a cookie and my sweet family sang. I had two helpers to blow out the candle!

 What a perfect day!

2 comments:

Jen said...

what a fun idea!

Teneil said...

Wow! I miss your creativity!!