I debated whether to post about this. I'm slightly embarrassed and sad that this little fire took place. I decided that everyone can learn from it and remind me to be more careful (and hopefully no one thinks less of me!). I was trying to make a few different things at once. I have very limited counter space so I sometimes use my stove top as a counter. I had set the sugar bucket lid on the stove while getting out some sugar. I didn't put it on right away because I needed more sugar for another recipe. In the meantime, the girls needed to brush their teeth and get jammies on for bed. So I was working on that, too. I thought I'd hurry and get some water on to boil for one of the recipes so I got that going. When I walked by the stove a few minutes later, there was smoke and FLAMES! I had turned on the wrong burner. I quickly threw the other stuff on the stove off so it wouldn't burn, grabbed some water in a pan and doused the fire. A big flame burst up a couple feet and the fire went out completely. The girls were screaming. Ryan was so kind to be on clean-up duty. There was black "residue" all the way up the front side of the microwave. I am so grateful that the only damage was to this lid:
Lesson learned: the stove is no longer a counter top, don't multi-multi-task, and be way more careful!
On a lighter note, Monday was Family Day in Canada (Presidents Day in the US). We hiked Bears Hump in Waterton. It was a pretty tough hike in the snow. Ada walked the whole way! Bonnie got to ride in the hikers back-pack. The view up top was amazing! It was a fun adventure- and we were so proud Ada endured and made it to the top!
Cute Apple Eating Girls!


3 comments:
I am glad you got it out. I did that once but it was one of those decorative burner covers that my mom had on her stove top. It smelled awful!
Holly, don't worry. Moms are busy! I did the exact same thing about a year ago (even with a similar 5-gallon bucket of sugar). Bryan wasn't home at the time, but when he walked in the door Eleanore ran to tell him "Mom almost burnt the house down!" Haha...sometimes we've just go so much going on...I'm glad that it didn't amount to anything serious (for you or me!)
Post a Comment